Wednesday, November 14, 2012

True Equality

I came across an article in The Huffington Post that interviewed the singer Pink on her views about gay marriage and the 2012 election. I found her answers so enlightening. When asked her opinion on gay marriage she responded, "I think that the best day will be when we no longer talk about being gay or straight -- it’s not a 'gay wedding,' it’s just a ‘wedding,'""It's not a ‘gay marriage,' it’s just ‘a marriage.' "It's not a 'black man' or ‘white woman,' it’s just 'a man' and 'a woman,' or 'a human' and 'a human.' I’d just like to get to that.” I found her response to be so beautiful and eye opening. Even those of us who are supportive of gay rights and gay marriage do still isolate the comunity. The ultimate dream would be to get to a place where we don't have to isolate this community. We should strive for a day where we don't even think of them as different, where it really is just another couple or wedding. I am so happy that we are making progress in this movement as the 2012 election demonstrated but I am well aware that we still have a lot of change that needs to take place to make this dream a reality. I think it’s asinine for someone to think they are better than another person. I have never understood that and I have no tolerance for that. I know that I have not gone through what the LGBT community has to get to this point but I look forward to standing beside them fighting for the life they deserve.

No comments:

Post a Comment